Friday, September 6, 2013

☞ARCHITECTURE: The Children's Museum

It has been a couple of months since we checked on the new Children's Museum building by the corner of 155th Street at St. Nicholas Avenue, so we swung by to see the state of the new construction.  This ambitious building also doubles as an affordable housing complex which will eventually have a rose patterned relief embossed on a gray tinted facade surface.

Right now the final coloring is being applied on the concrete but there seems to be a Brutalist quality to the building at this stage.  It is probably too early to tell if the final effect will amazing or a misstep but this development definitely is one of the more interesting ones to materialize in Harlem. Check out the final rendering and get more details on the Sugar Cube building in our past post: LINK

2 comments:

  1. I walk past this building every day. The windows are so small on the east and west sides that it almost looks like some sort of prison. Hopefully the north and south side windows will give these new apartments enough lighting. I thought it was going to look more inviting and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Matt !

    I live just down from the building, it blocked my view of one of the bridges in the Living Room. I a not fond of the dark grey and it is true the windows facing the street look like a prison. The other windows are larger and better on the courtyard driveway area. The developer sent me information that there will be a garden on the roof. I think I will wait and reserve final judgment until then.

    ReplyDelete