Friday, July 31, 2009

☞ READ: The Monterey in the NY Times




The Monterey, a distinct Thomas O. Speir building finished in 1892 on the corner of 114th Street and Morningside Avenue, has a write-up today in the New York Times. We found a photo of the building in 1904 taken by George L. Balgue, which shows the triangular Lafayette Square Park in front. Morningside Park can be seen to the right, a few trolleys to the left and dirt roads everywhere. The last two photos are from the NY Times article showing the building, especially known for its deep entrance arches, today. Color photos by Konrad Fiedler. To read more on the history of the Monterey, go to the NY Times article: LINK

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you so much for loving Harlem and helping me rediscover the place of my birth. I take and have taken so many of these treasures for granted. I love the work you do here.

    ReplyDelete