Saturday, March 6, 2010
☞ REMEMBER: West Harlem's Lewisohn Stadium
We weren't around to remember the wonderful neoclassical stadium that stood in Hamilton Heights for nearly half of the 20th Century. Lewisohn Stadium was built in 1915 for City College and the landmark would be enjoyed by West Harlem citizens until its demise in 1973. As a gift from philanthropist Adolf Lewisohn, the stadium between 136th and 138th Street on Amsterdam Avenue held sporting events, concerts and theater performances. With the City College's expansion, the stadium was demolished to make way for the $125 million monolithic North Academic Center with its citadel-like aesthetics. The closest subway to this location is the 1 train at 137th Street. Check out an old postcard of the stadium on Ephemeral New York: LINK. Archival photos courtesy NYPL.