Monday, July 26, 2010

☞ ARCHITECTURE: Classic Storefront Return



So the original H & M building was in this big steel cube (top photo) on 125th Street when it first opened and we just thought the recent scaffolding out front was just basic maintenance. The construction crew finished up last week and a new, white stucco building emerged from the renovations that started in the springtime. It's quite interesting that the chain spent the extra money to do such a major facade overhaul. On the other hand, the new, bright building with the distinct cornice detail at top is a lot more striking than the nondescript original. Apparently, there's a grand re-opening this Friday: LINK. All photos by Ulysses

5 comments:

  1. Curious...I hardly see any change worth noting, do you? It's not like if I were walking down the street, out the periphery of my eye I gleamed something new and different with any measure of "wow factor". Strikes with me like a change from Pepsi to Coca cola, something most would not even notice....they should have let that guy from HGTV Color Splash run wild with it...this is Harlem where things are vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I have never thought that building was a beauty ! H&M look the same everyone. It is just as ugly in Europe. But I am happy it's there, hiring folks from the community. I say the same for Target !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with you. I think they have enhanced the exterior by giving it character. Now it looks like a early 1900s structure rather than a 2000s structure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, to each it's own..I am happy it is there. But I think less window space means less showing of the merchandise...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see now that they have lights on all night, flooding the adjacent plaza around the ACP building. This is a GREAT thing. The amount of public urination, littering and street 'musicians' may now possibly decrease with a little light shed on them. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete