Tuesday, April 12, 2011

☞ EAT: Trufa Opens in West Harlem



A small Italian-inspired eatery call Trufa opened recently up on 3431 Broadway (just south of West 140th) at a former Mexican take-out shop.  Dinner service starts at 4:00 PM each day and apparently the establishment serves brunch on the weekends also.  There's really only a small seating area with a handful of cafe tables up front and the counter-kitchen space takes up most of the back portion of the restaurant.  On the positive side, it appears that some efforts for adding a little character has been made since the interior has a bit of warmth to it with exposed brick walls and the facade has some nice contrast details that make it stand out. All that's missing is a decent awning to pull it all together. Prices look to be fair for what appears to be slightly above average offerings such as free-range chicken and organic greens. Click on the lower photo to see menu items.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if the owner of Picante which I believe also used to run El Toro Partido (the take-out Mexican place that this replaces) is involved in Trufa. The Picante owner opened Tonalli a year or two ago further up on Broadway. I noticed a few "creative" spellings on the menu of Trufa much like I did when I went to Tonalli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is related to the Picante people. I have eaten there one time...great fried chicken. Also the gnocchi with the beef ragu (with shredded beef rib sauce)was tasty. Also serves beer and wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had ordered some different plates in this restaurant. I can say everything is tasty! My favorite is manbu sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad. El Toro Partido was my favorite Mexican restaurant in the area. So strange, because I ordered from ETP on Saturday. Now it's replaced with a restaurant that uses comic sans on it's menu. BOOOOOOOOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tineMachine - Are you sure you ordered from there on Saturday? I believe it has been closed for several weeks for renovations. You may have thought you were ordering El Toro Partido, but perhaps your call was forwarded to Picante (same owners and very similar menu).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really recommend this place because people in there are friendly and interior design is moody. I also like that they use organic products but it is not expensive at all.
    I am planning to go back there this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Organic chicken and meats, I can't wait to try this place out

    ReplyDelete
  8. @UptownGirl: Got the # from Menu Pages for El Toro Partido, but you might be right!

    ReplyDelete