Tuesday, April 17, 2012

☞ REMEMBER: Riverside Drive and 145th c. 1915

A post card from 1915 shows a warm afternoon along Riverside Drive at 145th Street.  Pedestrians can be seen taking a rest at the side benches and the new prewar apartments with amenities such as elevators can be seen in the background.  Like many of the parks created in the city over a century ago, Riverside Park was planted to a certain extent and one can see the saplings along the green space in this archival image.

Photo via the digital collection at The Museum of the City of New York

2 comments:

  1. I wish they had never built the sewage plant.... I don't care about Riverbank State Park--I'd take the original, uninterrupted Riverside Park than the tumor on the side of the Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the park. I think it's the highway that really messes it up.

    ReplyDelete