Monday, August 5, 2013

☞ MEET: Matthew Hashimoto

We met Matthew Hashimoto in Harlem over the summer and found out that he was the 2012 singing champion of the Apollo's Amateur Night competition.   Our Bespoke style files has been on a break but we were able to catch with the unexpected winner of uptown's most famous talent show this past weekend.  Folks who want to know more about Matthew can also follow the singer on Instagram at Hashpotatoes or Facebook: www.facebook.com/rexfordmusic


HB: Since you live downtown, being at the Apollo was your first experience in Harlem. Is there anything that surprised you?

MH: Not being a native New Yorker, I didn't know much about the history of Harlem. Having spent more time in Harlem over the past year has really made me appreciate it and its diverse culture. It's a beautiful community that I'm excited to see continually grow.


HB: How did you get involved with Amateur Night?

MH: I had always known about the Apollo's Amateur Night but never had the courage to audition for it until the fall of 2012. I knew that they would only accept the first 300 auditions, so despite the call time being 10 am, I was in line by 6:45 am. After a very nervous audition, I was invited back to perform and moved along through the competition from there. I met a lot of great people through the competition and never in a million years did I imagine doing so well. I'm still a small town boy at heart, so everything that has happened has really been a dream come true.


HB: Did winning Amateur Night open doors for other opportunities?

MH: Amateur Night has definitely given me the opportunity to meet a lot of different people in the music industry. Last summer, I was also lucky enough to be a part of the Apollo's first exchange program with their sister theater the Hackney Empire Theatre in London. Four singers from the Apollo competed against 4 singers in London and it was a blast! I think Amateur Night has put me out there and has given me a little bit of platform to be seen as a legitimate performer. It's such an honor to be associated with the Apollo Theater.


HB: You are Japanese American and sort of an exception for an Apollo contestant. What was the audience reaction like?

MH: I think that a comment from Doug E Fresh about my performance at Amateur Night best sums up my experience at the Apollo, he told me, "Don't let your appearance cause interference." It was always fun seeing the audience's reaction to my singing. I know that I don't look like a singer or performer, so I think I surprised a lot of people. Despite being an atypical performer at the Apollo, I was judged based purely on my talent and that is what I love about Amateur Night. It doesn't matter where you come from or what you look like, it's all about your performance. I still get goosebumps when I think about how it felt to perform there. I'm so incredibly thankful to have had that experience.


HB: As far as your look is concerned, you also are atypical. What are your style inspirations? 

MH: That's a great question! I don't really know much about fashion, so I don't really know what my style really is, per se. But, I like to wear things that are comfortable and that complement my body type, which usually means that they are more modern in terms of fit and size. I'm not afraid of color or prints either, and I'm a big fan of plaid.


HB: Will you be performing in Harlem anytime soon?

MH: I will be performing with my pop-soul band, Rexford, at the Shrine on Tuesday, August 13th at 11 pm. We write our own songs and sing a few covers, it'll be a fun show. You can check out our calendar of upcoming gigs and demos at www.rexfordmusic.com


No comments:

Post a Comment