Thursday, September 18, 2014

BESPOKE: CROSSTOWN SWEETS OF HARLEM

We also caught up with Albane Sappey who is the founder of Crosstown Sweets jams based in Mount Morris Park.  This award-winning artisan line will be available at the upcoming Sunday, September 21st Sugar Hill Market: LINK

HB: What is the inspiration behind your company? 
AS: Making jam has been a family tradition and inspiration. As a child, I spent my summers at my grandparents’ home in France. We would pick fruits such as plums, berries and currants from their orchard and preserve the excess by making jam. I picked up on the tradition pretty quick, especially when tasting most jams out there, most of them are too sweet and devoid of actual fruit flavor. Picking fruit that’s local and in season is a must for me, it makes all the difference in the end product. I also spent my childhood in Haiti where preserving the season meant using the local crop to make jams from grapefruit or guava. So I would say, the inspiration behind Crosstown Sweets is to preserve the seasons with locally and sustainably grown fruit and making a delicious jam that reflects the bounty of the region!

HB: Has it been difficult launching an artisanal product in Harlem? 
AS: I moved to Harlem in 2012 and the response has been great. Harlem Shambles gave me my first opportunity to sell the jams. Although most of my client base is in Harlem, the jams are making their way to different parts of manhattan and brooklyn, they’re also sold on the upper east side at Lucy’s Whey and in brooklyn at Stinky Brooklyn.

HB: Tell us more about some of your favorite jam or jelly combinations. 
AS: The Plum and Star Anise jam is really unique and surprising, it’s always fun to see the reaction to it! That jam won a 2014 Good Food Awards. I also really like the Apple and Fennel Jelly, those flavors pair well together. I got the idea for that jelly when eating a dish made of pork fennel sausages paired with apples. The Rhubarb, Strawberry and Shiso is another favorite of mine. That’s directly influenced by my love for japanese food. Lastly, I love any currant jam combination, it reminds me of my childhood and I love the tartness it brings.

HB: As the season changes, what fruits will become available? 
AS: The local fruit season is quickly coming to an end but we still have a few fruits left to take advantage of. The first crops of apples and pears have been great, they are high in pectin and make a better jelly. I am also looking forward to making quince jelly, quince should be in season pretty soon! The winter is pretty bare obviously, but before you know it, it’s spring again with rhubarb and strawberries being the first fruits.

HB: How long have you been in Harlem?
AS: This is my third year in Harlem. I've been in NYC for 14 years, with a 2 year hiatus in the Hudson Valley, where I started Crosstown Sweets.

HB: Is there anything you find unique about living in Harlem? 
AS: All the community gardens are amazing! I have seen so much produce growing in these tiny plots, it’s really great. Next on my list, finding a garden to source fruit from, I would love to make a super local jam from Harlem! I also love my neighborhood in Harlem, the Mount Morris Park Historic District, it has a real neighborhood feel and sometimes reminds me of a small town, I find myself saying hi and talking to neighbors far more than in other neighborhoods in New York City.  In the 14 years I’ve lived in NY, Harlem is by far my favorite neighborhood, it’s home!

No comments:

Post a Comment