Wednesday, November 3, 2010

☞ PROTECT: iPhone Theft on the Rise

A Harlem Bespoke reader was a victim of an iphone robbery this week and wanted to get the word out on being wary around the 116th Street 2,3 station on Lenox (and keep those phones concealed):

I was mugged last evening at about 7pm on Lenox walking north approaching 118th. (no weapons, no injury, just shocked). The Police told me that the muggings have been going on for the past two months on Lenox around the 116th subway stop. Mostly phones/ipods between 6 and 10pm. Either 2 teenagers grab you from behind and rob you or they drive by on a bicycle and snatch it out of your hands. Targets seem to be of all shape/size/color...they just look for folks speaking on their phone or with earphones. The shocking thing to me was that there were others around me, but nobody helped or called the cops...that really sucked! Maybe you could spread the word to your followers and fellow Harlem bloggers to spread the word, so people can we warned and aware.

This type of robbery has started to happen recently since smart phones are quite valuable. Apparently these guys know what they are doing for they have the phones turned off right away so GPS can't track down the location.  If you think this is bad, in NYC's top rated neighborhood, they tend to bash unwary iphone users on the head with a bottle before stealing the phones: LINK

***User Names required for all comments to remain on current posts.

8 comments:

  1. I had a similar incident occur a couple of months ago. Two youngsters made a move to grab my phone (albeit a pretty old and lame phone!) as I was approaching the 116th 2/3 stop. Fortunately I saw them making a move towards me and gave them the evil eye before they brushed by and kept walking. So technically, not really a mugging. It has, however, been a lone incident and 99% of the time I have had no problems whatsoever around here. I walk/run around here all the time. Keep your phones tucked away (especially if it's an iPhone) and keep your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exact same thing happened to me at 143rd & Convent a few months ago. I was talking on my phone and a guy came out of nowhere, grabbed it out of my hand, and ran away. The police were very responsive in trying to catch the guy, but after driving around the neighborhood for a bit it was completely useless. They discouraged me from filing a report, which could be part of the reason why they also told me that mine was an isolated incident (obviously it's not).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have my phone out on the street and I never have my headphones on out on the street. Not just near 116 but anywhere. It’s asking for trouble and wearing headphones is asking to be mugged or run over by a semi.

    On the other hand, I have had four, yes four, iPhones stolen from the bag on the back of my son’s wheelchair as I carried him into my building (I have to leave the chair outside while I do this). I do eventually learn and now take the phone and/or iPod into the house and leave the boy outside. So far no one has stolen him. But he’s bigger than an iPhone.

    I see people on the train with an iPad in their lap or a laptop. They are NUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that no one helped is exactly what makes the neighbourhood suck. People see things and say nothing because of the no snitch code of nonsense. If I see someone mugging someone I will do something whether it is call 911, take a photo with my phone so that I can show the cops or whatever. the only way to stop the crime is to take some responsibility for assisting our neighbours after all it could be you or me next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The theft cases started to rise as soon as they removed the live body from the booth on the uptown 116th street side of the 2 & 3 I suggest writing to the MTA, 311 and the Mayor's office to voice concern and complain maybe they will give us the live body back or at least install some cameras around that stop to see if these criminals, that is what they are, can be found and stopped. We can all complain to the MTA at this link http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/mta_nyc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely right Harlem BBC. When I was growing up in Philadelphia in the 60's and 70's the neighbors took care of each other. In the Dominican Republic today you will see a thief beat down in the street if they try to rob someone.

    Sorry that happened, hopefully would message will be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose I should feel fortunate that absolutely nobody could covet my crappy Blackberry...

    Agree on all the points above about taking collective responsibility and not letting this stuff slide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see these comments are dated 2010 but apparently the iphone theft is still going on. Mine was snatched out of my hand as I walked (texting) at 115th Street & 5th Avenue. The police did catch one of the three that were in on it together. I ran after the one who snatched my phone, made a lot of noise and yelled repeatedly for someone to call the police. Lots of police cars showed up and at least they caught one. We need to be vigilant and proactive, these thugs must be shutdown.

    ReplyDelete