Parsons School of Design alumnus with a BFA in fashion, who has worked in the menswear industry for several years. Past lives have been in the East Village and Lower East Side of Manhattan; more recently transplanted to Harlem. Currently living in a 1907 "French flat," an Edwardian era middle-class apartment.
After having walked by the grand corner townhouse mansion at 280 Convent Avenue and West 141st Street many times, we finally realized who the neglected house belonged to. One can see a small plaque on the side street corner of the limestone building that is part of the Hamilton Heights Historic District which reveals its original use (click on last photo to enlarge). The images at center shows the property's garage and ornate 141st Street side entrance of the almost 20 foot wide abode. Seeing that City College is right across the ways, it would make sense that their Alumni House is situated at this particular corner but we are not sure why its not currently in use. Remedial repairs were made a couple of years back to the facade but it has been empty since and still looks a little beat up. Public records shows that the City of New York transferred ownership to the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York which probably now means that is not in local control anymore. Anyone now what's happening to this landmark building? UPDATE: This is the location of the proposed Charles B. Rangel Center at City College which was part of all the political controversy last year: LINK