Friday, April 15, 2011

☞ REVIVE: Last Details at Central Harlem Reno





The Central Harlem renovation townhouse has already been gutted but before the demolition started, we had a tour of the other details that still remained in the house.  All the fireplace mantles have been stored as previously reported last week but some of original woodwork might not make the final cut on a limited budget.  The second photo shows the fretwork behind one of sliding pocket doors in the parlour which is missing one of the spiral post (click on image to enlarge). A decorative newel on the staircase at the main floor looks to be made of cast metal and will definitely stay while the dumbwaiters will most likely be dismantled permanently.  Finally, there are many paneled doors made of solid wood throughout the house and all are in various conditions. Most often than not, these are heavily painted over but the majority of the doors only had a pretty thin layer on them which is easily removed. There's a lot internal upgrading to be done and the demolition photos will be up next week.

6 comments:

  1. What street is this townhouse on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Above 125th Street, below 155th, between St. Nicholas Park and Fifth Avenue. It's pretty much in the middle of these four points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know when I took over ownership of my apt in '83 I set to work stripping the pocket doors, door frames, wainscotting, etc. It was a big job but very rewarding once I sanded and stained everything and looking back I'm glad I did it. I also at that time said I would never do it again given the opportunity. However, looking at these photos I do get the itch to start & complete another project like this. Its very therapeutic and greatly rewarding.

    So I hope they can keep as much of the original detail as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg, if I had the $$$ I would love a project like this. From what I can tell though, most of the folks who buy up these shells at $400-600k seem to be paying all cash and still have money in the reserves for renovations! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mistake!!!! keep the dumb waiters.
    makes bringing breakfast to your baby so easy and moving laundry up and down the stairs a cinch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would try and keep the dumbwaiters if possible if only because it brings so many cartoon moment opportunities to mind.

    ReplyDelete