Thursday, November 10, 2011

☞ READ: Ugo Rondinone Buys Mt. Moriah Church

A notable Swiss-born modern artist has been revealed as the new owner of the Mt. Moriah Church at 2050 Fifth Avenue based on an article in today's Observer. After several religious and commercial entities looked at the space, the 48-year-old artist ended up buying the former church on 126th Street for a cash offer of $2.775 million. Mr. Rondinone now intends to restore the 15,550-square-foot of interior space into a community cultural center and apparently neighbors are quite happy at this recent turn of events. Read more in the New York Observer feature: LINK.

10 comments:

  1. Does anyone think the 2.775 million a deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, kinda depends. I mean, if you’re not another congregation it’s rather white elephant unless you have the need of and plans for a big space. Which evidently the buyer does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it had museum/gallery potential. Good news for the Harlem community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news for the Harlem community!!!!! He is an excellent artist who has been doing "exhibitions" in his studio downtown, so perhaps we will have stellar exhibitions to attend uptown soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great News for Harlem !!! Hell Yes ! I have a feeling this is gonna be very interesting !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I brought the good Karma from my old Chelsea neighborhood to Harlem!! I remember in the mid-90's when I bought my first apartment in Chelsea is was nothing but rundown warehouses and hookers. Now it's a hub for the art world. Since moving to Harlem I had seen positive changes but all I ask for is more indepentdant shopping boutiques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cool. And to think I was hoping for a condo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NO!!! One condo next door enough...neighbor!! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Harlem Cubano: I was hoping for a condo as opposed to another church congregation, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent news, more diversity for Harlem’s ever growing rich fabric.

    ReplyDelete