Thursday, May 3, 2012

☞ INTRODUCING : New Cornice in West Harlem


A Bespoke reader sent in a photo of an old building being renovated over in West Harlem and HPD has surprisingly added on a missing cornice to the facade.  Most landlords would skip the extra cost and leave this important detail out of the final restoration efforts but the government agency appears to have some standard cornice designs that they have been adding on to building.  This building is just below 125th Street on Broadway and was the missing link in a line of mostly intact old tenements.

8 comments:

  1. That is awesome! One of my biggest regrets is how many buildings no longer have their cornices--they look naked--so it's nice to know that they are occasionally restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah !!! I live up here on Sugar Hill and LOVE the fact that most of the building have their original facades ! Harlem should keep the prewar buildings as close to the original as possible. I think it add so much to it's history and style !! Keep it going...

      Delete
  2. Terrific. Good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I hit the lottery I will buy every building missing a cornice in my nneighborhood and I will be known as the Cornice Philanthropist!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Props to HPD! Good news on my birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a cornice junkie and bemoan the loss of this wonderful detail throughout the city. Good for you HPD. On the May Day march from Union Square to the Wall Street Bull on May Day, one of the special treats of walking down the middle of Broadway, aside from the uplifting camaraderie, was being able to gaze at the fabulous facade detail of the buildings in the very old NYC neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cubano, MsCiara, count me in! Just gotta win that lottery now...

    ReplyDelete