Monday, May 20, 2013

☞ MEET: Yvette Leeper-Bueno

We continue our style series that interviews some of the new faces of Harlem with this feature on Vinateria owner Yvette Leeper-Bueno who also happens to have very deep roots in the neighborhood.  More details on the said new eatery located on Frederick Douglass Boulevard can be found at:  www.VinateriaNYC.com


HB: Your look is so current right now with all of the late 80s and 90s references happening in fashion. What are your style influences? 

YLB: As a woman, I'll have to admit that I have plenty of style influence. I grew up in the fashion business and folks that know me well will definitely tell you about how much I adore fashion. My inner 90's kid is definitely excited to see all the latest 90's fashion influences happening right now in fashion. I like to be on-trend, however many of my go to staples in my closet are of classic lines. In college, even with a fully stacked course load, I still found the time to feed my incessant collecting of international fashion magazines. Fashion is one of my guilty pleasures that share top billing along with great red wine, dark chocolate and a relaxing bath with all of the luxurious fixings.


HB: We have noticed that folks in Harlem like to dress up when they go out. Do you find this true?

YLB: Yes, I have found that folks in Harlem do like to dress up when they go out. I grew up hearing my mother recant stories of how 125th street during the 40s, 50s and 60s was filled with shop after shop selling beautiful fashions for both men and women. 125th Street was the place folks went to promenade and show of your 'Sunday's finest'. Fashion was one of the areas where Blacks could freely and lavishly express themselves. While folks might dress up in Harlem to go out, the intention is that people feel very comfortable at Vinateria and definitely come as you wish.


HB: You just opened Vinateria on Frederick Douglass and 119th Street this past month. How has business been going? 

YLB: The reception to Vinateria's opening has been extremely warm. It was definitely a long awaited opening. Many of my customers have told me that they have found a home away from home. Hearing this really makes my dream a reality. People in the neighborhood yearn for connectedness with other and to be able to hang out in a place that evokes warmth and soulfulness. My aim was to create an inviting neighborhood spot that could truly bring people together regardless of whether you might be a long time Harlem resident or a recent arrival. This type of charm can be difficult to find in more corporate style restaurants. I have received loads of complements on the Chef Gustavo Lopez's delicious cuisine and Gabriela Davogustto's amazing wine and beverage selections. We've all been focused on developing all of the operating area of this business to have high quality and a very caring touch. I am so delighted that we already have many return customers. Quite a few of these customers are reconnecting with me from previous involvements that I've had, i.e. through my education at Barnard college, my children's schooling or my prior owned boutique at Grand Central Terminal. I do not take all of this wonderful support lightly-- I am very fortunate.


HB: Vinateria is very modern but also has a strong nod to history. How did you come up with the concept? 

YLB:  Developing the decor for Vinateria was extremely exciting for me. I had the great fortune to have worked with an extremely talented designer on the restaurant project. Her name is Jonsara Ruth and she is the head of Interior Design at Parson School of Design. We challenged ourselves to create the neighborhood place I've always wanted to go to myself. You make a very astute observation-- this notion of modern and historical at the same time. My designer will speak of this as being one of her ultimate aesthetic goals. About a year ago she and I embarked on an incredible creative journey. As with my interest in fashion I was fuelled with the process of us putting it all together. I learned SO much about where to research and find fabulous vintage artifacts. You'll notice the lovely historical details of our expansive vintage bar that once had it's home in a Gramercy Park restaurant. One of the main objectives was to infuse the classical with a striking touch of modernity. Hence, we've intentionally chosen a simple, subtle yet elegant palette of materials so as to set the stage where it is the people and the enjoyment that become the main focus. I take such pleasure in noticing the extent to which people have been taking in all the design details when they come in to dine with us.


HB: Tell us more about your family history in Harlem and why you decided to open a restaurant in the neighborhood.

YLB:  My family has been involved in Harlem life for decades. My mother migrated here from Jamaica and my father from North Carolina--both in the 1950s. After High school in 1956, they first met each other just a few short blocks away from Vinateria at nearby Morningside Park. This area holds a lot of history for my family and I. Years later, after marriage they purchased a brownstone building on 112th Street, where I happen to currently reside with my husband and children.

My folks remember when Harlem was such a happening hub that you had little reason to ever want to leave-- shopping, dining, entertainment and church were all readily available in the vicinity. Most left Harlem only for work, school and an occasional trip to Macy's or for the Christmas show at Rockefeller Center. My parents held onto their brownstone after many tumultuous periods of the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s. They are delighted that a new Renaissance has come to Harlem with a blending of cultures that was not possible in the Harlem of the 1950s.


HB:  What are your thoughts on the changes happening in the neighborhood?

YLB:  Changes in any neighborhood will inevitably happen. I would say that most of us that reside here welcome the new changes in Harlem. We can all look forward to enhanced services in the area, new businesses and housing and enhanced schools. The role played by such community organizations as Frederick Douglass Boulevard Alliance FDBA, comprised of both residents and local businesses on FDB is positioned play a vital role in effecting positive changes in our area. I am truly excited to see all the new businesses opening in the area. The new residents that have come to live here are now part of the fabric of our Harlem evolution. We need to stay mindful of how much this in turn works towards broadening the awareness of all the greatness we have to offer here. I adore our neighborhood and I am extremely grateful that I have had the opportunity to follow my passions while also serving to contribute to the area's venue options.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview and good to know more about the interesting people behind these new establishments, it is good to know there is a strong Harlem connection that is very much a part of the new Harlem. Also fascinating to learn about the design process behind such a creative space.

    ReplyDelete