Saturday, March 15, 2014
REMEMBER: WHEN WEST HARLEM WAS IRISH
Vinegar Hill neighborhood of Hamilton Heights by 135th Street and Amsterdam was the last Irish part that was flourishing north of 96th Street up until the middle of the last century and the above photo shows the boy's Annunciation Church School Basketball team circa 1943.
West Harlem had the railroad tracks mostly built by Irish immigrants and that community stayed uptown for a few generations. Mr. Read was documenting his childhood years in retirement and we had contacted him for details in the past but found out that he passed away later on in that year. The Vinegar Hill blog still is online with many wonderful stories and unfortunately not many folks are left to tell the history of this rich part of Harlem's past: LINK