This 1893 landmark, designed by the architectural firm Thom & Willson, provides East Harlem with much-needed historic grace and is reminiscent of the Jefferson Market Courthouse in the West Village. With all of the moderate condo buildings and low-income house stock that populate East Harlem, historical buildings are beloved by longtime locals. Walking past the building this weekend and admiring the Romanesque Gothic architecture, a cheerful woman from the neighboring church expounded on the courthouse's beauty and encouraged us to go in. The courthouse is still in use today and sits at 170 E. 121st Street at Sylvan Place, between Lexington and Third Avenues. Take the 4, 5, 6 trains to 125th Street and walk south.
Post a Comment