Sunday, February 20, 2011

☞ REMEMBER: The Brands Marquee at 145th


The New York Post just had a series on disappearing classic store signage around the city and one grand marquee in Harlem was mentioned recently: LINK. At top, one can see the 1950's style neon signage that was at Brands Wines and Liquors on 145th just east of Broadway.  The owner apparently wanted to keep it but was forced to take it down back in 2005 to replace it with the rather dull flat version shown at the lower photo. From the article, it would seem that the city was placing fines on the old marquee because all such structures are too dangerous to have around. In reality, repairing the original sign with expensive custom-made parts or just tearing it down were probably the two options the owner faced. This business is also in a pretty significant building in this part of West Harlem since it was the site of a major Bickford's coffee shop back when they were a major chain in the city: LINK

3 comments:

  1. I dont get it--the City forced the owner to take it down as they deemed it to be dangerous and unsafe!?!?!?

    How so? I grew up on that block and I am in my mid-50's--the sign had been there forever and there was never a problem with it. It never fell, and there has never been any portion of the sign that became loose or broken. I never saw anyone make any adjustments or repairs to it.

    I just dont get it. Now we have another piece of great signage gone. Progress, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that NYC is coming to this, to be honest. I mean I would understand if I wasn't born here...but being born in this wonderful city, seeing it change and get more and more 'modern' kinda hurts my heart. Now a days, it's tough trying to find things that I remember seeing and being amazed by as a child anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was walking up a major thoroughfare in LIC last fall on a windy day when suddenly, a huge sign (like this one) ripped free of the building and crashed to the sidewalk, showering glass shards in all directions. Thank goodness no one was under it at the time -- which is pretty amazing, considering how crowded the street was.

    I live right around the corner from this store and definitely prefer the old sign, but am guessing that there are factors that are invisible to the naked eye which cause the city to make these decisions.

    ReplyDelete