Wednesday, May 11, 2011

☞ REVIVE: 188 Lenox Ready for Restoration

Even though Settepani has a very polished establishment located between 119th and 120th Street, there always was that row of landmark shells next door that still made the block a bit unsightly. These grand dames of Lenox Avenue have all the details in place on the exterior but for some reason have not been renovated until now. Recent DOB permits show that Number 188 Lenox (at far right) has applied to be converted into a 4-unit residential building and the application was also reviewed at the local community board meeting last week.  A lumber shop currently resides at the ground floor and the rest of the building looks entirely derelict.  This Mount Morris Park Historic District property is 17.5 foot wide and appears to have been handed over by the city sometimes in the 1990's but nothing has happened to the townhouse until now.

8 comments:

  1. This is a stunning block and the buildings deserve restoring, when lower Lenox is eventually filled with restaurants and sidewalk dining, it will be the crown jewel of Harlem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news! I have been waiting for these to be restored. I always thought they could make beautiful, floor-through lofts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are such important buildings I hope they are done well. I am concerned about the lumber and hardware place though. . . I hope he’s not just turfed out as if so often the case with ‘gentrification’.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always hoped I'd have enough cash to buy both of them and give them the love they need. Glad to hear that someone is going to take care of them as currently they still give the Harlem of the 80's look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I have always worried about their structural stability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Westsider: Agreed, I've always thought that Lenox Ave will be (if it isn't already) the crown jewel of Harlem....it's got way too much going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here @Harlem BBC. Can't wait to see these ladies in their old glamor again...and would do it myself if I had the cash around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ulysses any idea on who the developer will be?

    ReplyDelete