Thursday, July 14, 2011

☞ READ: Old Downtown Vibe in a New Harlem

The Times did another piece on the eclectic crowd at the Red Rooster on Lenox Avenue but the Style section now touts it as the alternative to the Meatpacking District. Unlike the previous dining review that just focused on the crowds at hand within the restaurant, the Guy Trebay piece goes a bit further and talks about how Harlem has become the new downtown in spirit.  Photos of model Cindy Crawford along with posh Harlemites show a freshness in a New York dining scene that some might say has become homogenized and predictable. SoHo, MePa, the East Village and even Brooklyn all started out with a bit of an edge that has since disappeared and Harlem seemingly has become the new destination to explore.  Mr. Trebay has covered the city's nightlife for decades and his article suggests that Harlem has once more captured the imagination of downtown thrill seekers and has become one of the city's last diverse neighborhoods where nightlife is still fascinating to watch.  Read more in the New York Times: LINK.  Photo courtesy Elizabeth Uppman for the Times.

8 comments:

  1. There have been several milestones in the transformation of Harlem, from being warily regarded as drug and crime ridden area to be avoided at all costs, to now being a destination neighborhood with much to offer. Red Rooster is one of these milestone positive forces, I would also include Harlem Bespoke as another. Great NY Times article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If RR can improve the food they can be a true long term anchor!! Nectar is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like how Harlem has changed but it doesn't come without a significant amount of anxiety & worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg can you elaborate on these feelings as I see most of the changes as totally positive and if anything causing less anxiety and worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the food at Red Rooster, especially under the new executive chef. Sometimes a new spin on soul food favorites takes a little getting used to. I'm glad that Harlem is giving Marcus' bar, restaurant and its new flavors a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't presume to speak for Greg but I know I am concerned about people who have lived here all their lives being priced out. Those 99 cent stores every one moans about are there because many people shop there by necessity. I stop at Conways every now and again not because I admire the filth but because I can afford it. Were it to be replaced by something more upscale it would present a hardship for many.

    That manner of thing. Don't get me started on the damn Fresh Direct trucks now delivering on my decidedly downscale block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha don't get me started on Fresh Direct trucks... what a nuisance! I too am worried about my neighbors being priced out... but not too worried yet, since my block as a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand the pricing out fears for sure, however you cannot possible dislike the fact that with gentrification comes a cleaner, safer neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete