Tuesday, October 2, 2012

☞ READ: La Marqueta Second Phase Expansion


The Daily News reported last month that East Harlem's La Marqueta has received more city funding to expand further.  This historic market has been around since the Depression years but the number of vendors have dwindled to a fraction of what they were decades ago.  Last year, the first section under the Metro North tracks at 116th on Lexington received new kitchen facilities to attract local baking start-up. Renovations have now already begun to open up 10,000 more square feet further south at 114th Street during the second phase of the market's restoration.  Expect more incubator kitchens and bakery companies to pop up over in East Harlem since the first phase was already successful in achieving that goal: LINK

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea, and I really hope it succeeds. I have to say I went once, though, and was not impressed - it smelled inside, a lot of the stores were not open, and the ones that were did not have appetizing selection. I will give it another chance, but, as I always say, I won't support poorly run businesses just because they are local. I expect a few glitches with a new business of course, but glitches and poor execution are different things.

    ReplyDelete