Thursday, May 3, 2012

☞ DWELL: Foreign Buyers and Harlem

A New York Post article recently reviewed the busy spring sales season and how many of the motivated  buyers around town are from other countries: LINK.  One future Columbia MBA student from Tel Aviv actually produced a spread sheet of all the properties close to the campus and purchased a one bedroom apartment at the Apex Condos in South Harlem soon after arriving in the city to start school.  As far as townhouses go, a notable sale happened last year over in Hamilton Heights when a homebuyer from Beijing purchased a landmark homes for a somewhat record amount that has not been seen in the past few years in West Harlem: LINK.  Walking down FDB these days, one may notice a few Europeans in the mix but they are often not just tourist but actual residents of the neighborhood.

7 comments:

  1. On my block, 132nd btwn 7th and 8th, there are a lot of French people. Bienvenue dans le quartier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swedish couple bought the building next to mine on W119.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Brit who moved up here 5 years ago, I have noticed a ton more Europeans in the neighborhood; especially in the playground on 116th and at Best Yet. One man's opinion, and feel free to yell at me, is that the Europeans I know have less of a hesitancy about moving up here than do many Americans. If I had a dollar for every "is it safe" comment from a NY or Midwestern friend, then I'd be quite wealthy. Never got the same question from European friends! It may be changing with all the new condo developments, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HHH,

    I agree with you. I live part time in Paris and part here in Harlem. I have many friends from Europe who have visited me here none of them have any problems.. I know so many Americans who always ask "Is it safe there ?" It changed a little when Clinton had his office here, but it is still a feeling that remains in some. Having said that, I love the changes happening here, and most importantly it is not just foreigners coming but Harlem folks embracing their neighborhood and history !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, HHH you're spot on. I'm also from the UK and I constantly get the same questions. Only this side of the pond though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the Europeans welcome, I am from the Caribbean myself and love it in Harlem. If I too was handed $1 for every time I get is it safe or can you get a cab I would be at least $100000 richer by now hehehe!!! Harlem works best :)

    By the way I think the Bespoke crowd should plan a meet up event!!! It would be nice to meet everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a native NY'er and lived in the area for 12 years. I love it. As far as the "Is it safe?" or my fave "Isn't that far up by Inwood?" questions, I laugh. As far as I'm concerned this is THE best nabe in the city and I personally want all the idiots who ask me the above two questions to stay away!

    ReplyDelete