Tuesday, January 5, 2010

☞ READ: Harlem's Demographic Shifts

It's been old news since the 2008 census numbers came in, but the New York Times this afternoon bluntly pointed out the "profound changes" that are happening in Harlem. Based on the census from two years ago, 4 out of 10 people in greater Harlem are African-American. For the first time since 1920, African-Americans are a minority in greater Harlem. What's important to note here is that Morningside Heights is included in this calculation, which basically includes the area immediately surrounding Columbia University. Many folks consider Harlem ending at 110th Street on the west side, but the article points out that Harlem's southern borders are at 96th Street, river to river (East Harlem has always had the 96th Street border). From the Times aritcle, one would also think that white gentrifiers were taking over, but looking at the graph provided, whites make up less than 20 percent of the overall population in greater Harlem. It's really the "other" category, which is primarily Latino, that is affecting these numbers.

The article indicates that Harlem is reversing its trend of losing residents because of the many new, attractively-priced developments that have filled once vacant building lots. At the end of the day, the true significance of this news is that the middle classes from all backgrounds are finally returning to an affordable part of Manhattan (which, in our opinion, is not such a bad thing). The above photo was taken last summer at Settepani in the Mount Morris Park Historic District. Read the full story in the NY Times: LINK

5 comments:

  1. Uly,

    Thanks for the calm commentary, which seems to be missing over in the NYT article's comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have witnessed Harlem change significantly over the years and surprisingly Harlem has continued to change despite the great recession. When the economy eventually returns I expect these changes to accelerate. Harlem has slowly changed from a no go area to another Manhattan residential neighborhood available to all who have the means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived in Harlem my whole life. I welcome these changes. I have never felt safer in my hood in my life and now don't feel ashamed to proclaim I live in Harlem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Anonymous #1 - the comments section on the NYT article is depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived here several years ago, I never would have considered living here, because Harlem was considered the gang capital and the ghetto. 6 years later I moved here after coming up and checking out the neighborhood and I hope to stay here for many years. I'm not rich, I'm a young 'professional' and hope that the area doesn't fall prey too much to the greedy realtors who want to kick out tenants to clear out space for people who will/can pay outrageous prices for apartments.The neighborhood is diverse- the people are friendly and all know each other- not at all like the place I moved from in brooklyn currently separated between hipsters and a latino community that I was constantly harrassed by, for what reason?? Viva harlem!

    ReplyDelete