Tuesday, April 6, 2010

☞ REVIVE: Cyndi Lauper's True Colors in Harlem

The 80's pop star Cyndi Lauper has been making a comeback in the media and some of it has rubbed off on Harlem in a positive way. The MAC cosmetic store at the Hotel Theresa on 125th Street and ACP/7th Avenue recently revealed their new signature Lauper and Gaga windows but the most notable impact to Central Harlem can be found up north on 154th Street and FDB/8th Avenue. Ms. Lauper's True Colors Residence just broke ground this past February and the six story facility will be the first of its kind to provide a permanent, supportive and secure home to formerly homeless lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth in New York City. Learn more about it on their website and donate to help with the mission: LINK. Photo by Ulysses

5 comments:

  1. As usual Ulysses you are the MAN! I would never have known about Ms. Lauper's new endeavour without you putting it out there! Thank You and I will contribute. I have been a contributor to Sylvia's Place in mid-town as it is an admirable endeavour and now this in my own back-yard makes me feel good and re-affirms my belief in all things good & wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another note: FDB & 155th Street is the site of the former Rockland Palace. The Rockland Palace was where African-American drag Balls were held during the Harlem Renaissance. Its also where Charley Parker played one of his last gigs in 1952, some coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use uptown flavor and curbed for Harlem related topics. However, now I mostly use this website. Ulysses is nothing short of amazing. Sort of like a major news network investagive reporter, uncovering everything and anything. No detail is too little. Keep up the good work man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ulysses the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. So much historical reporting. I refer friends here all the time.

    ReplyDelete