Thursday, June 10, 2010

☞ LISTEN: James Baldwin: The Price of the Ticket


Saturday, June 12th, 4:00 PM at Casa Frela. James Baldwin (1924-1987) was at once a major twentieth century American author, a Civil Rights activist and, for two crucial decades, a prophetic voice calling Americans, Black and white, to confront their shared racial tragedy. James Baldwin: The Price of the Ticket captures on film the passionate intellect and courageous writing of a man who was born black, impoverished, gay and gifted. Also check out the old footage of 1930's Harlem at the 1 minute mark of the above clip.

Casa Frela is at 47 West 119th Street, between 5th Avenue and Lenox/6th Avenue. Closest subway is the 2,3 at 116th Street. For more information, go to the Casa Frela website: LINK

2 comments:

  1. Love those old movie scenes of Harlem, the the 135th St. library is shown but I wish I could identify the other street scenes in the footage, any guesses anyone. I’m busy but otherwise would love to see this movie, sadly it is not on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love James...what a spirit ! I would love to see this film ! I am still looking for Toni Morrison's Eulogy for him.

    ReplyDelete