Tuesday, July 19, 2011

☞ SEEKING: More Diversity at Harlem Firehouse

On the topic of firehouses, the New York Daily News reports that Engine Company 37, Ladder 40 over on West 125th Street will be making a major push to hire more minorities. At 91 percent white, the FDNY had major problems with an entrance exam ruled as discriminatory 3 years ago and have not been allowed to hire until now.  A new exam has to be approved before the recruiting starts but it appears that the department is making the necessary efforts.  Read more in the Daily News: LINK

4 comments:

  1. I know this comment might create a firestorm but …. I’m very disturbed that entrance exams into the fire department have been so politicized that our lives are now at risk simply so the fire department can be more ‘diverse.’ Surely one is either able to pass the entrance exam, or not. There is no need to endanger people to make a political point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have wondered just how slanted the written exams might be to be deemed prejudicial to Black and Hispanic candidates but not having seen them I really can’t make a judgement call. However I don’t think that the fire brigades were understaffed to the point of making it a life/death situation based on the hiring freeze so hopefully all will be well.

    As for me, I just loves me some handsome firemen (and women).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob they have done everything to keep the fire department white and Irish for way too long, it is time to get more women and minorities of all sorts in there so that the department reflects the communities they serve.

    I have a friend who took the test but flunked the physical test so I do not believe the fire department is putting your life at risk. They are merely giving people the opportunity to get their feet in the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey BBC -- I hear what you're saying, but we have to agree to disagree. Is it the job of the fire department to reflect the communities they serve ... or simply to do the job? If some people cannot pass the tests, then they shouldn't have the job.

    ReplyDelete