Friday, August 5, 2011

☞ REMEMBER: Anderson & Bernstein at Lewisohn

There are a lot of great summer concerts happening in Harlem this month and this takes us back to the photo of legendary contralto Marian Anderson and composer Leonard Bernstein performing at West Harlem's Lewisohn Stadium back in 1947. The image by Ruth Orkin was one of a series featured at the Flash in a Bulb blog and the full run can be seen here: LINK. Nowadays the City College campus has the Gatehouse Theater for local concert events but the outdoor classical stadium that used to stand majestically next door was also one of a kind in the city: LINK

1 comment:

  1. It sure was one of a kind. I felt proud that I lived so close to such a fine college and that stadium. I remember telling people when I was about five that I was going to go to City College when I grew up, and I did! The neighborhood was very disappointed when the stadium left. The sadness was palpable.

    ReplyDelete