Monday, September 15, 2014

BESPOKE: SIDNEY & SONS WORK BAGS

Harlem Bespoke has been meeting a lot of great Harlem design talent in the process of curating the upcoming Sugar Hill Market on Sunday, September 21st.  We are especially excited to introduce Sidney & Sons which is a Harlem-based company that has not physically retailed locally.  S&S donated a bag for us to try out this past week and it has easily become one of our favorite accessories especially with the unique framed opening which helps keep the structure intact even when empty.  Below is our Bespoke interview with Lucy who is the founder of Sidney & Sons:


Traditional American made utility bags from the past. 
SS: I have studied the styles and technical designs of vintage tool bags, biker bags and military bags and even maintain a collection of them myself. I like the idea of taking something traditional and giving it an urban edge.

HB: What is the signature detail for Sidney & Sons bags? 
SS:  The nickel coated steel rivets, 5oz top grain leather, duck canvas and heavy gauge stitching not usually found on fashion bags. These components define the look and make them very strong and purposeful.

HB: Has it been difficult launching a designer product in Harlem?
SS:Most of my business is online. To a large degree this local environment itself has contributed to why I started making bags as I am not sure if I would have started unless I was in Harlem. The history of the neighborhood and its transformation from rustic to urban in a relatively short period of time is fascinating. I see my bags in the same way, taking from the past transitioning into the present.

HB: What are your favorite pieces in the collection? 
SS: I use all my bags so it is hard to say as it depends where I am going! At the moment I am using the Freddie black #8 duck canvas frame bag for work. I love that it has an edgy biker feel with the steel rivets against the black and that it can be dressed up or down. I use the larger Harry bag as a weekender as it holds a lot and the Archie mini frame bag for short outings as it is compact. I love the frame closure on all these bags as opening and closing is so easy.

HB: How long have you been in Harlem? 
SS: I have lived here for 7 years. I came to New York from London 16 years ago and had been living downtown. I was looking for a new neighborhood to live in. I remember exiting the subway at 137th and walking along Convent Avenue being completely blown away by the architecture. I felt like I was going back back in time as the buildings had not been tampered with as they have downtown.

HB: Is there anything you find unique about living in Harlem? 
SS: It's vibrant energy, the buildings around Strivers Row where I live and the sense of community which I never felt living downtown. Everyone knows how to have a good time in Harlem no matter what. The American legion jazz club is a fine example. The musicians are phenomenal and the atmosphere is electric!

No comments:

Post a Comment