Tuesday, February 16, 2010

☞ SHOP: The Penny Tub at Demolition Depot

One of the more interesting items at the Demolition Depot on East 125th Street seems to be a penny encrusted tub that they currently have on display in the front window. From afar, we thought this was a rare copper leaf, four foot long tub but it turns out the previous owner added a bit of a decorative touch to the tub using some spare change. It's still kind of cool and would fit into nicely into those tight brownstone water closets. Read our past post on the Demolition Depot in East Harlem: LINK. The Demolition Depot is located at 216 East 125th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. Tel.(212) 860-1138. Take the 4,5, 6 train to 125th Street. Photo by Ulysses

4 comments:

  1. if it were covered in gold pieces of eight it would be more in keeping with their prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanou’s Mum, I agreed, and they probably paid less than the face value of al the pennies affixed to this tub. Thanks for your continued great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an architect, for myself, I used to go there 15 or so years ago to fix up my pre-war with real details. The prices were reasonable for regular people back then. The problem now is that they are selling to mostly decorators and architects of wealthy clients. I would never pay their prices for myself, but if it was something just right for a client, and they liked it, and were willing to pay for it, I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had beautiful architectural features from a 1903 building, they wouldn't even bother to call me back. They want to steal things from vacant buildings and charge a fortune, I would never buy from them.

    ReplyDelete