Tuesday, September 17, 2013

☞ EAT: Harlem Outdoor Cafes for Fall

Vinateria at 122nd Street on FDB/8th Avenue introduced their outdoor cafe in the past couple of weeks and everyone should enjoy this particular amenity while they can.  Most of the serious restaurants along  Harlem's wide boulevards make it a point to get their outdoor seating license in order so local residents should make an extra effort to use them.

We always say use it or lose it Harlem.  Many still have the habit of spending a lot of entertainment dollars downtown and forget to regularly frequent the great local establishments.  If Harlem businesses are to flourish, then we must all make it a point to consistently be patrons at our favorite Harlem spots.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds a trifle bit prescient Ulysses. You know something the rest of us do not? Recently a close college friend of mine was here for his annual Labour Day visit. In the past he stayed at Hotels in Mid-town Manhattan & dined in restaurants near the hotel or patronized room service spending a kings ransom just on room and board. This year was signficantly different. I refused to see him and speak to him unless he made an effort to stay at Aloft or one of the guest houses here in Harlem. In addition, meals, entertainments and sight seeing were to be done "mostly" in Harlem. So, he followed my lead and Voila! he's hooked. He's of a certain age and remembers the old associations & images of Harlem. We dined at Settepani one night then walked up Malcolm X Blvd & had drinks at Red Rooster. Entertainment was at the old Jazz Musicians Union spot on West 130th.

    When I'm invited out for dinner or lunch or drinks I accept the invitation with the caveat; "...as long as we can do it in Harlem."

    Now he's hooked. I've been promoting Harlem to friends and relatives since the late 80's. I've become adamant that I will not partake of social events below 110th St, that is if I can help it.

    Most of my friends & relatives envy my living & working uptown and are now trying to figure out a way to make their lives here too.

    Harlem has become a sort of double edged sword & represents different things to different groups that are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish my grandparents had lived long enough to see Harlem as it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinateria in particular is amazing, regardless of location. I'd go to Westchester for their food!

    ReplyDelete