Tuesday, September 16, 2014

BESPOKE: JONATHAN CASTRO SCULPTURAL CERAMICS

We recently discovered the work of Harlem-based ceramic designer Jonathan Castro via Instagram which has been an amazing way to connect with the visual arts world through social media.  The sculptural and functional collection makes its debut at the Sunday, September 21st Sugar Hill Market, at Number 259 West 132nd Street within the brownstone garden gallery of Maison d'Art: LINK

HB: What is the inspiration behind your company? 
JC: The inspiration behind my company is to create handmade ceramic designs that will add to a person's every day life and enhance their day to day experience. Depending on the personal attraction that one makes with one or more of my pieces, it might be a sculptural home decor enhancement that makes one's home more complete or something as simple as a ceramic mug that you use every morning to start your day.


HB: How long have you been in Harlem? 
JC: I have lived in harlem for four years now. It definitely has become my home within this big city.


HB: Has it been difficult launching a designer product in Harlem? 
JC: Over the past several years I have really been welcomed with open arms to several markets and locations in Brooklyn. I have mainly lived in Harlem area for most of my time here in New York but have not seen opportunities, until recently, where i can present and showcase my work in my local area. My hope is to be known as a Harlem Designer, even if my work is located in various areas.

HB: What are your favorite pieces in the collection? 
JC: My favorite work to create is still from my Anomaly Series. It combines sculptural and functional elements to really get gain the best of both worlds for my interests. Sculptural items are more challenging for a handmade collector to become attached to, so when someone is interested in a completely sculptural piece over a more functional design, it is a special moment.

HB: Does the changing of seasons affect your creative direction? 
JC:The seasons definitely tend to play a role in my creative direction, especially within my Anomaly Series. The seasons of inspiration and change for me are typically during the Fall & Spring season. During the Fall I tend to get very experimental with some of my work, which is always fun. The physical changes of nature really bring out a fun transformation in myself internally which comes out in my ceramic work. In the Spring, the blooming of new life make me want to celebrate and design pieces that revolve around succulent plants. I really sets the mood for the spring and summer season to come.

HB: Is there anything you find unique about living in Harlem? 
JC:The main thing that i find the most unique about living in Harlem is an enhanced sense of family & pride & history. I feel that Harlem History surround us within its architecture and the "lifers" that remain in the area proudly. This will remain and sustain, even through growth and new development.

No comments:

Post a Comment